Auto theft is common and can result in significant financial loss and inconvenience for vehicle owners. However, there are several preventative auto theft prevention tips that you can take to reduce the risk of your vehicle being stolen.
Here are some of the most effective auto theft prevention tips:
1. Lock Your Vehicle: Always lock your vehicle doors and make sure your windows are closed, even if you’re only stepping away for a moment. An unlocked vehicle is an easy target for thieves, so make sure your vehicle is always secure.
2. Use a Steering Wheel Lock: A steering wheel lock is a physical barrier that makes it difficult for thieves to steal your vehicle. These locks are affordable and easy to install, and they are an effective deterrent for would-be thieves.
3. Park in Well-Lit Areas: When parking your vehicle, choose well-lit areas that are visible to others. This will make it harder for thieves to approach your vehicle unnoticed, and it will also make it easier for others to spot any suspicious activity.
4. Install an Alarm System: A vehicle alarm can alert you and others if someone tries to steal your vehicle. Make sure your alarm is loud enough to be heard from a distance and consider adding a tracking device that can help you locate your vehicle if it is stolen.
5. Don’t Leave Valuables in Your Vehicle: Thieves are more likely to target vehicles that have valuable items visible inside. Avoid leaving laptops, phones, bags, and other valuables in your vehicle, especially if they are visible from the outside.
6. Use a Keyless Entry System: Keyless entry systems make it harder for thieves to break into your vehicle. These systems require a special key fob to unlock the doors, and they are designed to prevent thieves from using traditional lock-picking methods.
7. Install a Kill Switch: A kill switch is a device that can disable your vehicle’s ignition system, making it impossible for thieves to start your vehicle. These devices are relatively inexpensive and easy to install, and they can provide an extra layer of security for your vehicle.
Side note, keyless vehicle theft, also known as relay theft, is a type of theft that involves intercepting and relaying signals between a keyless entry fob and a vehicle’s central locking system (See the YouTube video below from the Toronto Police on how quick this can happen!). Thieves use specialized equipment to amplify the signal from the key fob, allowing them to open and start the vehicle without needing the key itself.
One way that thieves can extend the transmitter on a keyless key fob is by using a device called a relay box. This device can pick up the signal from the key fob and then transmit it to another device held near the vehicle. This other device then relays the signal to the vehicle’s central locking system, allowing the thieves to gain entry to the vehicle and start the engine.
⇨ To protect yourself from keyless vehicle theft, you can take several precautions. For example, you can store your key fob far away from the parked vehicle or in a signal-blocking pouch, which prevents the signal from being picked up by a relay box. You can also park your vehicle in a secure location, such as a garage or a well-lit area with CCTV cameras.
Check out this video on how quick keyless vehicle theft can happen!
By following these auto theft prevention tips, you can significantly reduce the risk of your vehicle being stolen. Remember to always be aware of your surroundings and with these simple steps, you can help protect your vehicle and keep it safe from thieves.
Contact a professional from our Team for a no obligation insurance quote today! Check out our Contact Us page HERE or give us a call HERE!
If your claim happens outside of our regular business hours, please give your Insurer a call on their 24 hour claims hotline HERE!